Benefits of joining the LGPS
A pension is a tax efficient savings plan for retirement.
Everyone in the UK is entitled to a state pension, but if you don’t think that it will be enough to live on in retirement, paying into an occupational or private pension scheme can help you to save more.
The LGPS is one of the largest public sector pension schemes in the UK with over 2 million people currently paying in. It is an occupational pension scheme that you can only join if you work for an employer that is able to participate in the scheme. Access to LGPS membership is an important part of your pay and benefit package.
What you will be entitled to
By joining the LGPS you will be entitled to:
- a secure pension that will keep up with the cost of living
- life cover for your family and loved ones in the event of your death
- tax relief on any contributions deducted from your salary
- the option to decrease or increase your pension contributions
- the option to transfer in any previous pensions you hold within 12 months of joining
- access to our secure self-service portal My Pension Online - so you can view your pension details and take control of your retirement planning
Further benefits after 2 years
Once you have met the 2-year vesting period you will be entitled to:
- a pension in the LGPS which you can choose to take from pensionable age
- the option at retirement to receive a tax-free lump sum as part of your benefit package
- ill-health cover if you are too sick to work
- when you are over age 55, if you are made redundant or your post is terminated due to business efficiency your pension will be paid without reductions
More information about the LGPS
For information about how the LGPS works, see What is the LGPS
For information about the cost of being an LGPS member, see how much you will pay.
If you need help about deciding to join the LGPS see Get help with decisions about your pension
There is also lots of other information about paying into the LGPS here: Currently paying in
If you’re short on time, you may wish to take a look at the ‘pension made simple’ videos on the national LGPS member website.
How to apply
If you’re ready to join, apply here: Join or re-join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)