Search for information, advice and guidance

Authorise us to talk to someone else about your pension

If you want us to share information about your pension with a third party such as a financial advisor or a relative, you must provide us with your consent by sending us a valid letter of authority.

For us to provide information to the third party, the letter must contain:

  • your full name
  • your national insurance number
  • your date of birth
  • their full name
  • their full address and any other contact details
  • your signature (digital signatures will not be accepted)
  • the date your consent was granted
  • a statement confirming that you give your consent

If any of these things are missing, the letter will not be accepted.

We are happy to accept a scanned copy of the letter attached to an email or uploaded to 'my pension online'.

For the letter of authority to be valid, you must have signed it within 3 months of the request. If you wish for the person to contact us about your pension after the letter expires, you must provide another letter to us.

If we receive a letter of authority on your behalf, for your security, we will write to you to let you know.

Make sure to only send copies of your documents and not originals as we are unable to return documents you send to us.

If the person holds Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) for you

We can communicate directly with someone else about your pension if that person holds a current Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) for you.

To update your record with their contact details, we will need:

For security purposes, we will then check the request with the Office of the Public Guardian.

Once it has been verified, we will be able to update your record. For security purposes, we make regular checks with the Office of the Public Guardian to ensure that the LPA document is still valid.