Employer events and training
Your employer liaison officer (ELO) is available to support you in your role as a LGPS employer. The ELO can:
- give you one-to-one training
- support you in responding to LGPS pension queries
- answer your questions
We also run free regular employer training webinars to deepen your knowledge of the LGPS. Webinars are held on Microsoft Teams (MS Teams), either as a 'live event' or as an interactive webinar.
We also offer free induction webinars for scheme members (your employees) who recently enrolled or are considering joining the LGPS.
This page provides details of upcoming events, information about attending a webinar and how to book.
Why attend a webinar
The aim of our webinars is to:
- Improve and expand your knowledge of the LGPS
- Support you to fulfil your employer responsibilities
- Keep you updated on changes to regulations and procedures
- Provide you with reference materials to refer back to as required
- Assist you in identifying points for improvement to ensure best practice
- Promote and develop our working relationship
- Signpost you to further sources of information, support and guidance
Even if you have extensive experience and a good knowledge of the LGPS, you will still find our webinars to be a useful refresher.
If you are a local authority-maintained school, or have few LGPS employees, you should still ensure you are equipped with the relevant knowledge to support your employees when the need arises.
If you use a third-party payroll provider, it’s still very important that you have a good understanding of LGPS processes and procedures so that you can ensure the payroll provider is meeting your needs and performing to a high standard. Ultimately, the employer remains responsible for fulfilling LGPS responsibilities. More information about working with a third-party payroll provider can be found in our outsourcing your payroll guide.
Upcoming employer webinars
Assumed Pensionable Pay (APP), Wednesday 13 December
On occasions when someone is away from work, it will be necessary for you to calculate and apply an Assumed Pensionable Pay (APP).
This webinar will cover:
- What is an APP and how is it used
- When an APP will apply
- How to calculate APP with worked examples
- What will happen if an APP is not applied where it should be
Year-end, Thursday 29 February 2024
This webinar will:
- Provide an overview of the year-end process
- Look at your responsibilities at year-end
- Examine what data needs to be submitted at year-end
- Look at how we use this data and why accuracy is essential
Attending a webinar
If you don’t have the MS Teams application you can still attend the webinar. Events are held on either the 'live event' or 'webinar' function of MS Teams. How we deliver the webinar will depend on its topic and structure.
Click the link in your invite at the correct time to access the webinar. We advise joining a few minutes before the webinar starts.
For live events, you won't need to have your camera or microphone on to attend. You'll have the chance to ask questions via the chat box at the end of the event. For interactive webinars, you can choose to use your microphone or camera if you wish, but it's not required.
We can only answer general questions about the subjects covered in the training. If you have specific questions in relation to your organisation, you should discuss these directly with your employer liaison officer.
For quality and training purposes, all webinars will be recorded. You will not be able to record the event.
After attending a webinar
After you attend the webinar, we will send any accompanying notes and PowerPoint slides to the email addresses you provided at the time of booking.
To help us monitor the quality of the training we provide, please take a few minutes to let us know how you found the webinar. You can do this by emailing us or by completing the survey that we send out.
Previous employer webinars
- An overview of LGPS employer responsibilities - 14 September 2023
- Absences from work - 19 July 2023
- Processing retirements - 5 June 2023
- The Year-End process - 6 March 2023
- Using i-Connect - 24 November 2022
- Assumed Pensionable Pay (APP) - 12 September 2022
- Final Pay - 20 July 2022
- Ill-health retirement in the LGPS - 26 May 2022
- The year-end process - 7 March 2022
- Valuations 2022 – 24 January 2022
- Assumed pensionable pay (APP) – 19 November 2021
- An overview of the LGPS for employers – 15 September 2021
- Final pay – 10 June 2021
- An LGPS overview for admitted and resolution bodies – 29 April 2021
- The year-end process – 8 March 2021
- The SLA, the PAS and submitting information – 25 January 2021
If you have any suggestions of what topics you would like to see covered in future webinar presentations you can contact us.
Webinars for your LGPS employees (scheme members)
We hold periodic webinars open to your LGPS employees.
We ask that you help us to promote these by cascading invitation flyers to your staff. Look out for our communications which will contain further details of upcoming events.
Other training options for your organisation
For a fee, we may be able to provide specific training for your organisation. To discuss your requirements, contact us by emailing [email protected].